Saturday, September 7, 2019

When The Wind Blows




We were living in Woodside when Hurricane Juan hit. I admit I didn't take the forecast seriously. I think I said, "Naw that will never happen here." During the night, the wind sounded like a freight train ripping the siding off the house, Next day, it looked like a war zone outside. Uprooted trees, downed power lines, cars almost flipped over.

My wife Nancy couldn't get a cab to work and she thought for some reason that Metro Transit would be on the road. She walked down Chadwick Street and when she got to Pleasant Street she decided she would walk to work, from Woodside to Northwood Manor in Halifax. Apparently, she had to stop and wait for cars to drive by so that the headlights would show where the downed power lines were.

I, on the other hand, looked out the window, picked up my phone which thankfully was still working, called work and said, "I won't be in."

We have varying work ethics.

Currently, I'm not working so I don't have to worry about what decision I'll make during this hurricane [Dorian]. And Nancy worked 7 to 3 so she was almost finished her shift when the wind started to blow.

We're curious to see what happens when the beast makes direct landfall. They forecast 140 km/hr winds. Hope the tie-downs on the trailer are secure. At least this will be a good test to see how secure the new windows are. If the power stays on, I'll update as often as possible, maybe with photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment